In Romania, children with special needs often do not receive adequate professional intervention at an age early enough to help them achieve their maximum potential. These handicapped children are then at increased risk of being unable to access education, medical assistance and employment, and they are also at increased risk of being abandoned to institutional care.
Inocenti began offering Early Intervention services to children in Bistrita-Nasaud County in 2006. A multidisciplinary team provides physical, speech, psychological therapy and educational activities for children, as well as counseling and training for parents.
• Help children reach their maximum feasible development.
• Develop life skills to improve quality of life.
• Reduce the risk of maternal abandonment through support and education.
• Facilitate the social integration of children with neuro-psycho-motor disabilities and their families from Bistrita-Nasaud.
- Bistrita, Bistrita-Nasaud County and surrounding area where necessary.
Inocenti provides daily support for children between the ages of 0 – 7 with neuro-psycho-motor disabilities. Our beneficiaries may be living in a placement center, foster care or a family. The Inocenti Early Intervention services include:
• Early identification of children with neuro-psycho-motor disabilities.
• Collaboration with the local network of specialists to facilitate prevention, early identification and intervention services.
• Early intervention services in a specialized center and in the home, with mobile team rehabilitation therapy, and facilitation of access to other specialized services available in order to improve the quality of life for children with disabilities and their families.
• Support groups, advice and counseling and provision of information regarding children’s rights and benefits for parents with disabled children, designed to improve parent-child relationships and help parents conduct ongoing therapeutic activities at home.
• Support towards the medical recovery of the child.
• Facilitate the social integration of the children through inclusion in recreational and community activities and local outings.
• Support for caregivers in accessing health services and other services of the Complex Evaluation Department within the Department of Social Services.
• Organize activities to enhance the awareness and acceptance of disabled children in the community through community events such as The Olimpiada Inocentilor, Children’s Day, and the Gala.
• Educational and social activities for children with disabilities and their families.
• Music and sensory therapy for children with disabilities.
• Provision of a resource and support center consisting of a library containing specialized brochures, books, CDs, DVDs, videos and electronic materials for the use of our beneficiaries and specialists.
In the period April 1, 2014 – April 30, 2016, the Inocenti project “Early Intervention Program for the disabled child” was developed in partnership with the General Direction for Social Assistance and Child Protection Bistrita Nasaud, “Voinicel” Center for Early Intervention in Chisinau Republica Moldova and AHEAD Association Norway. The project was funded through the EEA Grants 2009-2014 under the NGO Fond in Romania (www.fondong.fdsc.ro). For official information on the EEA and Norway grants visit www.eeagrants.org.
The contents of this material do not necessarily reflect the official position of the EEA grants 2009 – 2014. The whole responsibility for the accuracy and coherence of the information provided lies entirely with the website’s initiators.